Monday, January 6, 2014

My 2014 Spending Diet - January 6th

I was so inspired by Krista Casey's "apparel diet" that I decided to do one as well. Krista decided that for one year, she would not purchase new clothing and shoes, instead focusing on purchasing items at secondhand stores. She documented her trials and tribulations on her blog, whose domain has unfortunately expired.

My mission: to not buy any new clothing, shoes or makeup for three months. I am allowed to buy underthings such as panties, bras, tights and scarves. No eyeshadow, foundation, powder or nail polish. Manicures are allowed since I am a nail biter and less likely to nibble if my nails are professionally done.

I figured a whole year would be too daunting. By the end of the quarter, I would evaluate my wardrobe, see what gaps I can fill and what can be purged. To jump start the process, I bagged up four trash bags full of clothing and yesterday, Shawn and I donated them. That feels good!

Attached is today's outfit. Dress and boots are from Target. Boots were on clearance for $10. Batwing sweater I bought late last year on Amazon. I am not crazy about how it accentuates my "I had two kids and don't work out stomach." I also am wearing a multi-strand beaded choker I received as a gift, which I normally wouldn't wear like this.

1 comment: